This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. This means that if you purchase through the links provided in this article, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclaimer for more details. Thank you for your support!
It only seems appropriate with the time of year to share some workout strategies on how to start a small simple exercise plan for busy moms. Finding time for fitness for busy moms can be difficult, yet many people decide on New Years’ “I’m going to live healthier”, “I’m going to work out”, “I’m going to lose weight”. The list is endless about losing weight or eating healthy and exercising.
For real though, it will not happen overnight and you need to go easy on yourself. Start small and ENJOY it instead of pushing too hard, getting overwhelmed and as a result giving up because it’s too hard.
Here’s a thought… don’t make it too hard, to begin with! These tricks will not only help newbies to the fitness world, but it will help anyone who needs help getting started again! Maybe you have stopped for a while and now you need to get back into it. Let’s talk about fitness for busy moms!
Being a mother of extremely young children, and trying to bounce back from pregnancy for the 2nd time takes perseverance and it is important to remember that it takes time.
The Department of Health and Human Services recommends 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week. Get a day of rest in there, that’s about 40 minutes per day, 4 times per week. It can be hard to find, I know. Mine is about 30 minutes per day, 4 days per week. Let’s say cardio for 15-25 minutes and strength 10-15 minutes. Here is a simple SMALL way to start.
Starting a fitness routine can seem like a daunting task, here are the idea’s for you… the busy mom… to get started! You do not need to do all of this in one day, alternate days and start with only 3 days per week! This, my friend, is how we solve finding time for Fitness for busy moms!
Cardio – 20-25 minutes
1. Elliptical or Treadmill, speed walk outside, run/bike. If you’re serious enough, buy yourself this elliptical. Elliptical is so much easier on your joints! They are surprisingly not too expensive too!
2. Speed walk, jog, bike, rollerblade outside. Stationary bikes are less expensive too! Check this one out!
3. Aerobic Kickboxing or any Aerobic activity. Use some ankle weights when you do these!
Strength – 10-15 Minutes
With strength start with 10 exercises, 10 repetitions, cycle through the workout one, and work your way up to doing it three times in one session. These are just a couple of samples.
Remember that this is fitness for beginners, so start easy and pick one to focus on about 2-3 days a week in addition to your cardio workout! Pinterest is an amazing place to check out exercises with visuals! Here are two examples of strength exercises to get you started.
You can get a whole set from Amazon here!
1. Bicep curls
2.hold at 90 degrees for 10 seconds
3.pulse for 10 seconds.
4. Tricep curls (stand on the band, lift one end up behind head).
5. Hold for 10 seconds at 90 degrees behind the head.
6. Pulse behind head for 10 seconds.
7. Sit and curl band around feet to do a rowing action
8. With band around feet do bicep curls.
9. Lunge position with the band under the front foot, lean forward and pull one end back up by side (triceps). Switch sides. 1
0. Lung position with the band under front foot and put an elbow on knee, do bicep curls. Switch sides.
2. Straight leg lifts (legs down to floor straight, and lift up straight)
3. Butt Raises (with legs straight up, flat on back)
4. Bend knees and lift legs up and down keeping them bent at 90-degree angle.
5. Butt raises with feet flat on the floor lifting middle section up
7. Scissor kicks (10 seconds).
8. Propped up on elbows bring knees into chest and back out flat.
9. Flat on the back with knees bent and arms down go side to side touching fingertips to heels.
10. Prone hold for a count of 30.
Do not get overwhelmed and do NOT overwork yourself
So please do not overwhelm and overwork yourself. Fitness for busy moms is so difficult to be able to start. Not to mention, stress has been proven to be harmful to one’s health and it will not help!
Exercising when done right can be enjoyable and a great way to relieve stress and anxiety. When you get bored switch it up!
In the summertime, I love taking it outside! The little things do add up too. You can park further away, use the stairs, concentrate on posture while sitting, stand and walk more than you sit
When you are home avoiding sitting down and getting comfortable until all is done and it is time to relax. I am SO GUILTY of going home and straight to the couch because of a long day.
You’d be surprised at how a little activity can go a long way and you will feel more energized. Hoping these tips for fitness for busy moms can help you!
Start small. 2 days per week. Build up to 3 days per week, and even 4 days.
Do Remember that rest is equally as important so do not forget to get at least one day of rest between all of this exercise! Good luck, “don’t stop won’t stop!” Cheers!